How to navigate skincare; from natural and organic to vegan and cruelty free
Not all skincare is created equally and many mainstream skincare brands use ingredients they'd rather we don't know about (see last week's post). Armed with the knowledge of which ingredients to avoid, you now need skincare that you trust will work for your skin, health and the environment.
To help you on your way, we've set out the four ingredient cornerstones of our skincare collection below. These are the standards which will ensure you're feeding your skin with the nutrients it needs to stay healthy while caring for the environment too.
#1 Choose Organic (if it can be grown in soil)
- Certified-organic ingredients have flourished under the strictest requirements of organic farming where synthetic pesticides, artificial chemical fertilisers, herbicides and GM crops are prohibited. Their cultivation protects the soil, respects animal welfare and minimises pollution.
- When choosing plant-based skincare, choose organic over natural. With no harmful chemicals used to grow the organic ingredients, they're better for your skin, wellbeing and the environment. We use cold-pressed organic oils which preserves the ingredient quality, potency and purity in a way that heat-treating cannot, and these oils absorb into your skin far more easily.
- Shop: Organic Lip Balm (100% organic) blended with sustainably sourced, certified-organic Virgin Coconut Oil, Apricot Oil and Beeswax.
#2 Choose Natural (if it can't be grown in soil)
- A natural ingredient is one that is naturally occurring in nature, is unrefined and unprocessed.
- We choose natural ingredients when they cannot be obtained from organic farming, like french green clay which is a unique blend of minerals including dolomite, manganese, silica and copper.
- Shop: Green Clay Cleansing Balm (100% natural) blended with the finest french green clay which contains negatively charged molecules that attach to positively charged molecules in makeup and dirt, whisking them away to reveal brighter, healthier skin.
#3 Look for Vegan
- Choosing a vegan product means it's free from animal-derived ingredients and animal testing. Look for the vegan trademark logo: it's the only way to be sure that the product meets the strict requirements maintained by The Vegan Society (you'll spot the logo on the product pages of our website).
- A note on beeswax: We believe in supporting the bees, because these pollinators are vitally important to our environment but 35 species are under threat of extinction. We use certified-organic beeswax in some of our collection and while these are not vegan products, they are organic and the bees are not harmed. According to the British Beekeepers Association, honeycomb (aka beeswax) is a by-product of the honey crop. Removing some in the winter provides a stimulus for the bees to produce more and it's good housekeeping from a cleanliness point of view for the bees to replace the honeycomb.
- Shop: Organic Facial Oil (certified vegan), the cult favourite oil blended with certified-organic Sweet Almond Oil, Apricot Oil, Pumpkin Seed Oil, Argan Oil, Evening Primrose Oil and Vitamin E.
#4 Support Cruelty Free
- No animals should be harmed to produce skincare, but there's only one way to be sure: look for the the Leaping Bunny logo. It's the only internationally recognized symbol guaranteeing that no animal tests have been used in the development of the product which includes both the ingredient level and the finished product.
- Our entire collection is certified cruelty free with Cruelty Free International.
- Shop: Organic Hair Oil (certified cruelty free) blended with certified-organic Argan Oil, Sea Buckthorn Oil and Vitamin E.
What are the skincare standards that you live by? We'd love to know - drop us an email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Written by: Lauren, COO, BY SARAH
All content © BY SARAH LONDON. All rights reserved. You may not copy or reproduce any of the content on this website without the permission of BY SARAH LONDON. Any infringement is a breach of copyright.
Sign up to our mailing list to be the first to receive our latest blog posts, as well as our news, offers and new product launches. Sign up now!