Retinol. Commonly cited as the gold-standard in anti-ageing, this ingredient has long been revered as a hero in skincare products. Retinol is hailed for its wrinkle-fighting, fine-line-fading, pigmentation-busting benefits. And yes, it really does work.
If you're prepared for dryness, flaking, peeling, redness and irritation, that is...
Even the hardiest of skins are warned to build up their tolerance to retinols yet even with this approach, skin will inevitably undergo a period of shedding as the retinol takes hold.
That's why, at By Sarah London, we do not include retinol (or any of the topical retinoid family of ingredients such as retinal and Retin-A) in our formulas. They're as far as you can get from the 'gentle and consistent' mantra we champion.
Now? We've been working hard behind-the-scenes to bring you an alternative. A plant-powered oil – suitable for even the most sensitive of skins – that offers retinol-like properties without the irritation.
Meet our new collagen-stimulating Bakuchiol Daily Recovery Booster, that can be used as the final step in your existing 3-Step Essentials evening routine, restoring skin while you sleep. Simply pipette a few drops into the palms of your hands, bring palms together and gently pat and press into your face and neck, and hit the hay knowing your skin will feel plump, calm and radiant come morning.
The magic's all in the 100% natural bakuchiol – an ingredient scientifically proven to reduce the signs of ageing.
In a double-blind, placebo-controlled study with 44 subjects, 0.5% bakuchiol was applied twice daily and compared to 0.5% retinol (used once daily) for 12 weeks. Bakuchiol showed similar results in areas such as wrinkle surface area and pigmentation. But, crucially, the bakuchiol testers reported none of the irritation experienced by the testers using retinol.
After the same period, users of our bakuchiol experienced a 20% reduction in wrinkle depth.
No wonder the herb, extracted from babchi seeds, has been used in Ayurvedic skincare and traditional Chinese medicine for centuries.
Alongside the all-important bakuchiol, our Bakuchiol Daily Recovery Booster contains the very finest cold-pressed plant oils for additional repair including:
- Olive squalane: a natural emollient that acts in a very similar way to our own skin lipids, aiding in improving skin elasticity and encouraging cell regeneration.
- Marula seed: as well as being rich in fatty acids to provide intense hydration, this plant oil is also antibacterial to support the health of your skin.
- Chia seed: rich in antioxidants and fatty acids, chia seed helps reduce and prevent wrinkles, alongside repairing your skin’s moisture barrier to maintain plumpness.
- Grapeseed: high in linoleic acid and Vitamin E, this helps skin retain moisture and prevent environmental damage whilst evening out skin tone.
- Sunflower: boasting high concentrations of linoleic acid, fatty acids and ceramides, this visibly repairs your barrier leading to smoother, healthier-looking skin. It is also known to have natural calming effects, aiding in reduction of stress or skin irritation.
- Vitamin E: sourced from non-GM soya and sunflower plants, this hard-working vitamin protects skin from oxidative stress, commonly associated with premature ageing of skin. We use it as a natural preservative in our skincare to ensure our beautiful plant ingredients retain their skin-loving benefits for longer.
Ready, set, slumber...
Have a question about our Sleep Booster? Get in touch with us at email@example.com or DM us on Instagram, @bysarahlondon. We love hearing from our community, so please let us know your thoughts.
Join our Newsletter to receive our latest news, arrivals and skincare tips straight to your inbox every week. All content © BY SARAH LONDON. All rights reserved.