Dry skin patches can crop up at any time of the year. While we typically think of dry skin as being associated with the arrival of winter, it can be triggered by changes in humidity - even in the summer.
The weeks of hot, sunny days here in the UK were recently interrupted by a few days of rain. I really noticed the difference in the changing humidity in the air. Cooler air means low humidity. As the epidermis (the outermost layer of skin) tends to reflect the humidity levels around it, this is a recipe for dry skin - dry skin occurs when our skin doesn't retain sufficient moisture.
Have you been abroad this summer and are returning home to a cooler climate? Or do you have some stubborn dry skin patches you want to banish? If so, try some of this natural skincare routine for dry skin:
Cleanse Your Skin With an Organic, Plant-Based Cleanser
The thinnest skin on our bodies is found on our face, under the eyes and around the eyelids. When washing our faces, we need to be mindful of this and care for our delicate skin.
Many mainstream cleansers contain alcohol (among many other nasties) which strip skin of its natural oils, leaving it dry and parched. If your skin is sensitive, you'll want to avoid fragrances and essential oils in your cleanser as these can cause further irritation.
We believe in the power of organic, plant-based cleansers to cleanse and nourish your skin at the same time. Our Green Clay Cleansing Balm is 84% organic and blended with certified-organic Apricot Oil, Virgin Coconut Oil, Beeswax and French Green Clay. Here's how each of the ingredients work to clean your skin without drying it out:
- Cleanse: the certified-organic Virgin Coconut Oil has high anti-bacterial and antioxidant properties, removing daily impurities and binding to the oil in any makeup to gently cleanse skin.
- Gently exfoliate: the French Green Clay contains negatively charged molecules that cling to the positively charged molecules in your makeup or the dirt on your skin, gently whisking them away, removing dead skin cells and leaving skin positively brighter and healthier.
- Nourish: the certified-organic Apricot Oil has a high essential fatty acid and Vitamin A content, making it great for dry or sensitive skin; percolating deep into the skin and, once absorbed, providing long-lasting nourishment. The certified-organic Beeswax is a powerful anti-inflammatory, antioxidant and provides a source of Vitamin A to help promote new healthy skin cells.
Use an Organic, Plant-Based Lip Balm
Our lips are often the first to become dry and flaky which not only feels uncomfortable but is not the best look either.
Many lip balms contain ingredients such as petrolatum (petroleum jelly), mineral oil and silicone. Taking one as an example: mineral oil is derived from petroleum and does not absorb into the skin; its molecular size is too big and is not recognised by our own skin. It remains on the surface of skin, clogging pores and suffocating the skin.
To really feed your skin, we believe in the power of organic, plant-based skincare which penetrates your skin and delivers the essential fatty acids, minerals and vitamins it needs to stay healthy. Our Organic Lip Balm is 100% organic and blended with certified-organic Virgin Coconut Oil, Apricot Oil and Beeswax. Here's how it works to soothe your dry lips:
- Hydrate: the finest quality, certified-organic Virgin Coconut Oil is rich in fatty acids that help to lock in moisture, as its antibacterial, antiviral and anti-fungal properties keep chapped lips at bay.
- Protect: the certified-organic Beeswax is a powerful anti-inflammatory and antioxidant which forms a protective barrier on lips to help shield them from pollutants and prevent possible infections or cold-sores.
- Nourish: the certified-organic Apricot Oil contains linoleic acid which strengthens the skin’s barrier function and its oleic acid content softens skin and gives a satin-like feel.
Use an Organic, Plant-based Body Oil
The long days of summer often mean more skin on show and so we pay a bit more attention to moisturising. But if you've picked up a bottle of body lotion from your local pharmacy or supermarket, chances are it's full of emulsifiers, fillers, preservatives and other artificial and synthetic ingredients. Much like mineral oil, they provide no benefit in promoting the health of your skin over the long term.
Just like we eat to keep ourselves healthy on the inside, we need to feed our skin from the outside too. Our Organic Body Oil is 99% organic and made with the finest certified-organic Organic Sweet Almond, Organic Apricot, Organic Evening Primrose, Organic Jojoba & Vitamin E.
It's so rich in nutrients that it feeds skin and banishes dry skin patches, leaving your skin healthy and glowing - totally naturally and organically. Here's how:
- Hydrate: the certified-organic Apricot Oil helps the skin retain moisture and, as the molecular structure of the certified-organic Jojoba Oil is very similar to our own skin cells, it penetrates into skin immediately and provides deep hydration, without leaving a greasy residue.
- Soften: the certified-organic Sweet Almond Oil is a rich source of Vitamin E that helps to heal and repair skin. And the antioxidant-rich Vitamin E protects against UV damage by absorbing free radicals.
- Enrich: suppleness and nourishment comes from the certified-organic Evening Primrose Oil and, due to its high GLA (aka, fatty-acid content), it helps to relieve symptoms of eczema and psoriasis by reducing inflammation.
If you could pick one product, which would it be? Give it a try for 28 days (this is how long it takes for our skin cells to renew) and see if you notice the difference and your dry skin disappears!
Written by: Lauren, COO, BY SARAH
Sign up to our mailing list to be the first to receive our latest blog posts, as well as our news, offers and new product launches. Sign up now!